Narnia Poll: Read the books in which order?

In which order do you think the Narnia Chronicles should be read? (You may give your reasons why in the comments section.)
View Results
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
The Horse and His Boy
Prince Caspian
The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
The Silver Chair
The Last Battle

Click here for Narnia products at Amazon.
Click here for more Narnia related posts.
Click here for Narnia sermon series.

Definitely chronological order. You can miss some subtleties otherwise. I love Magician’s Nephew. It’s a great place to start…

Well, I’m not usually a traditionalist, but because I read them in publication order and loved them that way, that’s how I voted. I remember so many “AHA” moments in Magician’s Nephew that I think I would have missed if I had read it first. Lamppost, apple core, origins of the White Witch, and more – these are the ones I think of right off the bat (without giving too many spoilers). A few years ago I read all 7 for the 7th time and thought that might be the last. Maybe it’s time for the 8th round, and I’ll try chronological. 🙂

I prefer the publication order myself. Part of the fun of The Magician’s Nephew was getting to see the creation of a world that I had already grown to know and love. I don’t know if the creation of Narnia would have meant as much to me if I didn’t already know Narnia so well.

I also like keeping the story arc of Wardrobe, Caspian, Dawn Treader and Chair together. I think inserting The Horse and His Boy into this arc really interrupts the story line. It is much better to fill in the storyline of The Horse and His Boy after completing the major story arc as found in the first four published books. Then Nephew and Battle make two good bookends to the whole series read at the end.

Also, The Horse and His Boy becomes problematic with a strict chronological reading. Yes, it happens before the events of Prince Caspian, but it also happens before the end of the events in Wardrobe. To keep a strict chronology, you would have to stop Wardrobe before the final chapter, read The Horse and His Boy, and then go back and finish Wardrobe. And that doesn’t make sense to me.

So, I would say go with the publication order. Anyone else?

To those who voted “Other” in the poll, I would be interested in what you think the best order should be.

Wow, the votes for chronological order took a huge leap forward overnight. Nobody’s stuffing the ballot box, now, are you? 🙂

I have been loving the support but I promise I only voted once!!

Sharon – I believe you! Looks like chronological order is winning big time. Actually, even C. S. Lewis said that chronological was probably the best way to go. I just happen to disagree with him!

Hey Ray – I keep checking this to see if “my side” is still winning…when are you going to close it — or are you waiting in case the other side catches up????

Sharon – Right now it’s still getting 4-5 votes a day, so I thought I’d keep it open. I don’t think my side is going to catch up anyways. In fact, it looks like we’re falling further behind!

10. Adelaide says:

i think publication but the narnia created today as movies by series and it is chronological. wait I have a question what about the Horse and His boy, it will become a movie!? If happen, When!!? And Please if Walt disney and Walden Media will remake the Narnia series into movies, Don’t skip the other because it has the pattern to follow. I hope that the Horse and His boy will be a movie and for sure many people will support and watch this movie. thanks….

Adelaide – Right now, Walden Media is taking it one movie at a time. I heard they have begun casting for Dawn Treader, so that is good news. The best thing everyone can do right now to convince Walden to keep moving the series forward is to buy Prince Caspian on DVD. Caspian didn’t do as well at the box office as hoped, but if they make up for it on DVD, that will be an encouragement to keep moving forward.

1. Will Susan Return to Narnia? at Ray Fowler .org