Will Susan Return to Narnia?

Some fans of Susan in the Narnia series were disappointed to learn that Susan will not be back for the next Narnia movie. So, will Susan ever return to Narnia? Yes and no. At the end of Prince Caspian Peter and Susan are both told they will not come back to Narnia because they are getting too old. Lucy and Edmund are told the same thing at the end of The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. Peter, Edmund and Lucy later show up in New Narnia at the end of The Last Battle, but Susan does not because she is “no longer a friend of Narnia.”

However, all four children do appear in one of the other books of the Narnia Chronicles — The Horse and His Boy. Although The Horse and His Boy was written much later in the series, chronologically the events of the book take place towards the end of the first book, The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. This is when the children are all still in Narnia for the first time and have grown up as Kings and Queens.

Assuming they keep making the Narnia movies, The Horse and His Boy will be the fifth in the series. And even if they don’t, you can always read the book. So, cheer up Susan fans! There is still more Susan in Narnia yet to come!

Update: It looks like Susan will be in Dawn Treader after all, albeit briefly. Link: Anna Popplewell: Susan’s Appearance Will Be Brief. More info in comments below.

Click here for Narnia products at Amazon.

Related post:
    • Narnia Poll: Read the books in which order?
    • Click here for more Narnia related posts.

1. Shei says:

Awww..That’s awful,
    yea, me too, felt so dissapointed bout it. Coz, The Prince will no longer can meet Susan, right?
    Then,
    The romantic feeling will not show a lot then ever i guess….

Shei – Not to give too much away, but if you like romance, the Prince will have a new romance in the next movie (just not Susan).

3. lv says:

exists a posibility that susan end together with caspian ( of course, in the next movie – remember we love romance, and disney loves romance too-) ???

i hope so

4. ash says:

awwww….I hope Peter will also be there in the next Narnia..and Susan…it will be nice to see more romance in a film like that

5. rw says:

its not going to be as good with out susan and peter

rw – Ahh, but there are new characters to meet in the next books, too. Don’t worry, they are all great books, and yes, you miss Peter and Susan at first, but then it is fun to meet the new characters as well.

7. dajon says:

susan do not leav i am a big fan of you
    plese come back

8. dajon says:

donot leav what movie are you going to make next

dajon – Hang in there! Dawn Treader (the next movie) is a great story even without Susan.

10. I gotta say, the Dawn Treader is one of the better in the series. As far as literature is concerned, its formed well and the travel theme is conducive to telling a lot of plot points and morals. How it comes out as a movie is another matter… I wonder though if they would ever do The Magician’s Nephew. That is the one I want to see! Its all about Creation and the Fall! No Susan though, but then again, cute as she is, her character was played well in that it looked like she was going toward the girl who is “no longer a friend of Narnia.” The movies have been made very well so far – I hope they don’t loose the Christian overtones.

Peter does come back, He is High King and a great character (even if his relationship to Caspian was a bit strange in the movie)

Robin – I hope they do a good job with the Dawn Treader movie. And I hope the movie does well, too. I have enjoyed both movies so far, but Prince Caspian didn’t do as well as the first one, and if Dawn Treader doesn’t match up, I don’t know if they will be able to continue. I would love to see all seven get made — including Magician’s Nephew.

12. ESMEIDY says:

I’M THE BIGGEST FAN OF NARNIA. MY FAVORITE CHARACTER IN NARINA IS SUSAN SHE IS THE BEST! THE KING PETER IS CUTE! 😀

13. ESMEIDY says:

I HOPE THERE IS MANY MORE MOVIES OUT OF NARNIA.BY THE WAY SUSANI IS THE BEST!

Esmeidy – It sounds like you really like Susan! By the way, they are just getting started on the third movie (Dawn Treader). The last I heard they are switching locations from New Zealand to Australia.

15. tommy says:

now what?

LOS ANGELES (AFP) – Disney confirmed Wednesday that it would not be involved in the third film of “The Chronicles of Narnia” fantasy series, dealing a blow to the franchise based on C.S. Lewis’s classic books.

A spokeswoman for Disney confirmed in an email that the company had chosen not to exercise an option to co-produce and co-finance the next “Narnia” film with producers Walden Media.

The Hollywood Reporter cited “budgetary and logistical reasons” for Disney’s decision, which leaves the third film “The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader” facing an uncertain future.

The film was due to start filming early next year with a release date tentatively set for 2010.

The two previous films in the series “The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe” and “Prince Caspian” have grossed more than 1.1 billion dollars worldwide since the first film was released in 2005.

The Hollywood Reporter said the decision reflected a cooling of interest by movie studios in adapting children’s fantasy novels, following the success of the “Harry Potter” and “Lord of the Rings” films.

Update: Twentieth Centruy Fox has since picked up the film, and so the series goes on! (Ray Fowler)

16. Maggie says:

I want Susan back!!! she’s my favourite of course but i still want to hear more from Queen Susan, she can’t not come back!!, we love u Susan, u rock!!

Maggie – I like Susan, too. Hopefully they will make “The Horse and his Boy,” and you will get to see Susan again.

18. Maggie says:

I hope so and i hope Anna Popplewell plays Susan’s part, there’s no one better than her, she’s my favourite actress, she played Susan like no one else, do u have facebook? i want to start a group called “i want queen susan back in narnia” haha.

19. feii says:

Awww ! now that i know that susan ain’t gonna be there it seems like i dont want to watch the movie .
    .oh well at least peter is going to be in the movie , right ?

Feii – Actually the latest news is Susan does have a small part in the movie (even though she is not in the book). I believe it takes place near the beginning of the movie and she is writing a letter to Edmund and Lucy. However, I have not heard anything about Peter.

21. Peba says:

Well actually the horse and his boy is third in the series, and they decided they would skip over it and go straight to prince caspian

But here Js the order in which they were really written
    1- the magicians nephew
    2- the lion the witch and the wardrobe
    3- the horse and his boy
    4- prince caspian
    5- voyage of the dawn treader
    6- the silver chair
    7- the last battle

But I hope they bring her back in the last battle I think the audience would want to see her again