Celtics-Lakers: Let the Finals Begin!

Boston Celtics Logo     Los Angeles Lakers Logo

Update: Click here for the Celtics-Lakers 2010 Finals.

The Celtics-Lakers 2008 Finals begin tonight. The Celtics and the Lakers are the two most successful basketball teams in NBA history. There have been a total of 61 NBA Finals. The Celtics and Lakers have won nearly half of them with the Celtics winning 16 and the Lakers 14. (The Chicago Bulls are the next closest team with “only” 6 championships.)

The Celtics and Lakers have met each other 10 times in the finals, the last time in 1987. The Celtics won the first 8 contests, and the Lakers won the last 2. The Lakers are looking to edge closer to Boston’s 16 championships, and the Celtics are looking to win their first championship since 1986 (over the Houston Rockets). As a long-time Boston Celtics fan, I am really looking forward to this one. This should be a great series.

UPDATE: The Celtics have now won their 17th NBA Championship. They are now 9-2 against the Lakers in Championship series. Here is a table showing all the Celtics-Lakers finals match-ups:

Year             Champion         Opponent             Result
2008 Celtics Lakers 4-2
1987 Lakers Celtics 4-2
1985 Lakers Celtics 4-2
1984 Celtics Lakers 4-3
1969 Celtics Lakers 4-3
1968 Celtics Lakers 4-2
1966 Celtics Lakers 4-3
1965 Celtics Lakers 4-1
1963 Celtics Lakers 4-2
1962 Celtics Lakers 4-3
1959 Celtics Lakers 4-0

Related links:

Click here for more Sports related posts.

1. It pains me to do this, as a fan of the Mighty Lakers, but the Celtics actually have won 16 championships.

Thus, a repeat would only give them a tie at 16. A three-peat is needed to be on top.

Incidentally, as a fan of that other team, I’d welcome your input on a post I did regarding all-time rosters in this rivalry.

Prediction for the series? Other than great fun and excitement?

During the 1980s I worked at John Hancock in Boston and was able to get tickets to more than one Celtics/Lakers Finals game. For one of those games it was a last minute opportunity and I had no Celtics fan available for the 2nd ticket. So my wonderful husband, who hates basketball, went with me. There I was with my HUGE poster “Celtics Drown Lakers” jumping up and down and screaming while he calmly sat and read the paper during the game, occasionally asking “How much time left?” Thankfully, I have 2 sons who are passionate Celtics fans, so hubby is now off the hook during this exciting Finals. GO CELTS!

Gunny – Thanks. I made the correction in the post above. The funny thing is going into the post I thought we had 16 championships, but when I counted them here (NBA Finals Championships), I kept coming up with 15. Anyways, I just counted them again, and this time I finally came up with 16. Go figure.

Prediction for the series? Although Boston and LA are definitely the two strongest teams this year, I don’t think Boston has played a particularly strong postseason. Unless Boston kicks it up a notch, or LA suddenly drops their intensity, then I am afraid LA will take it, maybe even in 6. But if Boston jumps back to their regular season play, and Garnett, Allen and Pierce are scoring +20 each a game, then I would say Boston in 7. Go Celts!

Bethany – I didn’t know you got to go to those Finals games. I would have gone with you, except I was actually out in Los Angeles at the time.

5. That’s pretty much my prediction as well. It depends on which Boston team shows up.

I was much more intimidated by Boston BEFORE the playoffs began. Seeing their losses and struggles gave me some confidence, although winning 2 in Detroit really got my attention once again.

Gunny – Yes, winning those two on the road was very important for Boston, as was Ray Allen finally getting some semblance of his game back.

By the way, I loved your all-time roster post at http://crmafia.blogspot.com/2008/06/lakers-celtics-all-time-rosters.html – great stuff!

7. Stephen says:

Ray – I have just discovered that I was “trashed” by Bethany concerning that long forgotten horrible 1980s game. Had you only flown home, I would have happily given you the ticket!
    Now I have to suffer once again! Oh the pain, the pain!
    Take care bro!

Stephen – Never mind the 1980’s. Do you have tickets for 2008? I will gladly go in your place and spare you any more painful memories.

#17!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YAY CELTS!!!

What an awesome end to an incredible year!

Now my family will switch to the Sox for the rest of the summer~

Bethany – I know. What a great ride the Celts gave their fans this year. And then finishing it off with a record-breaking blowout at home. Simply amazing! GO CELTS!!!! And yes, now the Sox will start getting some attention again.

1. Boston Celtics 2008 Victory Parade at Ray Fowler .org