Pastor or a Normal Person

On the way out of the nursing home where I preach twice a month, one of the elderly ladies asked me, “Are you a pastor or a normal person?” Sometimes I wonder that myself!

1. Jon says:

You may wonder, but those of us at ACB know the answer to that one!

Back to reality, Sometimes I wonder the same question as far as being a Christian. I mean mean this at several different levels. What do non-believers think a “Christian is?” What do we project out there as to “what a Christian is.” What do we project to each other or think we ought to be as “good Christians.” What and who are we really, and who do we admit this to? And perhaps as importantly, What are we not, as Christians?

Years ago as a new Christian I became friends with a strong brother in the Lord. Although not well educated, worldly or sophisticated, this brother was very advanced in his knowledge of the Bible and applications of christian living in his daily life. At the time I though, I could never talk to this brother about my struggles because he wouldn’t understand such elementary struggles or even worldly struggles. A couple years later, I met this brother going to college, during this time his Faith was being challenged and he was struggling with Depression. He was having a genuine “dark night of the soul.” I had never imagined that his walk could be challenged in this way. I forgot that ” There is no sin but such as common to man….” This was a real learning experience for me. God is Faithful, and the brothers season was dry for only a time, 12 years later he is still strong in the Lord, by His Grace alone.

I must say as well, that at ACB the other week and on Share lately, i have been blessed by some brothers honesty and humility- Praise be to God. This side of the “real” christian and not some facade I wish we could project more , not only to each other, but the outside world as well.

just some thoughts,

Jon

Jon – Great thoughts on honesty and transparency as believers. None of us has it completely together, and we cut off opportunities to minister to each other when we pretend we do. Thanks for commenting!

As Paul Harvey says, “and now for the rest of the story”. So…. what is the rest of the story? What was your response? Just curious!

4. Donna C. says:

Ray, I would also like to know your response to this person and your thoughts on a pastor verses a “normal guy”

My response? I thought it was such a funny question, I laughed out loud. Then I told her that yes, I was a pastor. However, I would like to think that I am a normal person, too!

Good post Ray. I think that Jon’s post was very thought provoking. We should as followers of Christ realize that our actions really speak louder than our words. In our daily walk with Christ we need to be aware that we are under scrutiny by all who see us. If we follow our walk with Love as Christ has taught us we have a better chance of giving a positive wittness as to what a Christian really is.

As to the answer to the original post, Ray, we have always thought of you as a regular guy who happens to be a Pastor.

Maybe a regular guy, but normal? You are more interesting than that. 🙂

Sharon, as you noticed in my post, I did say a regular guy and we will let the normal aspect be open for interpretation by Ray…..

Hmmm, normal can mean so many different things …