Around the Web – 10/29/2008

HIGHLY PARTISAN POLITICAL EDITION.

• How the Press Reported the 2008 General Election. The Pew Research Center’s Project for Excellence in Journalism, a nonpartisan journalism watchdog organization, reports greater unfavorable press coverage for McCain’s campaign than Obama’s.

Tone of Press Coverage for McCain and Obama | The Pew Research Center

• Redistribution of Wealth Experiment. A restaurant diner “spreads the wealth” by redistributing his tip to a homeless person outside.
  • Chuck Norris : I’m Voting for Those Not Yet Born. Chuck Norris speaks up on behalf of the unborn.
  • An Instructive Candidacy. Victor Davis Hanson reflects on what Sarah Palin has taught us about ourselves during this election cycle.
  • The Obama Temptation. “Fainting audience members at rallies. Special Obama flags and an Obama presidential seal … Young school children singing songs praising Obama. Teenagers wearing camouflage outfits and marching in military order chanting Obama’s name and the professions he is going to open to them. An Obama world tour, culminating in a speech in Berlin where Obama proclaims we are all citizens of the world.”
  • Deregulation: The Big Lie. “The current crisis was not caused by a deregulated ‘anything goes’ market, but by liberal intervention in the market, i.e. forcing banks to make high-risk loans or face costly lawsuits.”

1. brad wright says:

Interesting about differences in media coverage. A couple of days ago, a writer at politico.com wrote that the more negative coverage of McCain simply indicated that McCain was running a much worse campaign.

I would like to see a breakdown of pictures of Obama vs. McCain on TIME magazine’s cover. Am I right that Obama gets the nicer pictures and more of them?

Hi Brad – Yes, I think saw the same article. More negative coverage doesn’t necessarily mean media bias. Sometimes it just means you are not doing as good a job. However, lately even the media seems to be fessing up to media bias in this election cycle.

Sharon – I don’t know about Time magazine, but here are the contrasting US Weekly covers for Michelle Obama and Sarah Palin:

Michelle Obama: Why Barack Loves Her (June 19, 2008)

Sarah Palin: Babies, Lies & Scandal (September 4, 2008)

And here is the September 5, 2008 double cover from OK Magazine with Obama on the front and Palin on the back:

Barack’s Inspiration: Life with My Girls
    Sarah Palin’s Baby Scandal: A Mother’s Painful Choice

I’m not sure if TIME or US or any other magazines noted claim to be unbiased. If so, they are not being honest. If not, then I believe they are certainly at liberty, in a free market economy, to slant the news according to the owners’ views, and leave it to readers whether or not they want to buy their product. In the same way, Christian magazines are free to present the news from a Christian worldview, and are not in any way obligated to give equal time and honor to those they disagree with. This is one of the many reasons I love this great countrty – freedom of speech, freedom of the press, freedom of religion, freedom of assembly, and so much more – YAY USA!

I do believe TIME claims to be an unbiased source. They supposedly keep their opinions to the editorial pages. If they would just have come out and said, “We are backing Barack Obama and if you want the best coverage available on him, read us for the next 15 months. Please read elsewhere to hear the commendations for John McCain.” I would have been happier. At least we know that Christian magazines have a bias – usually very conservative on moral issues…sometimes more liberal on environmental issues (which I like!). I just wish the mainstream media would be as honest. Anyway, reading WORLD and TIME is a great way to get both sides. I recommend it!

1. Obama, McCain and Palin Time Magazine Covers at Ray Fowler .org