At Least It’s Not Condition 1 Weather!

I live in New England where we are expecting our first major snow storm of the season — 6 to 10 inches of the heavy, white sticky stuff coming our way this afternoon. Today as I am shoveling and throughout the winter, I will just keep reminding myself, “At least it’s not Condition 1 Weather!”

What is Condition 1 Weather, you ask? Just take a look at this video of a weather station in Antarctica.

(Video length: 1:03)

Official Definitions:

• Condition ONE – any one of the following is true:
    • Wind speed greater than 55 knots
    • Visibility less than 100 feet
    • Wind-chill worse than -100F
  • Condition TWO – any one of the following is true:
    • Wind speed between 48 and 55 knots
    • Visibility better than 100 feet but less than 1/4 mile
    • Wind-chill between -70F and -100F
  • Condition THREE – anything that is better than Condition TWO.
    • Condition THREE means normal, good weather!

Related posts:

HT: Presurfer

1. Laney says:

Boy if that clip doesn’t give me perspective and renewed gratitude, nothing will!

Laney

So how often did you say, “At least it’s not Condition 1 Weather” while shoveling snow yesterday? I think I lost count around 105.

3. Rachael says:

I actually kind of enjoyed shoveling yesterday…I did help that our snowblower WORKED but I think the key was the MP3 player tucked under the hat. Listening to some great guitar christmas music…:)

4. barrie says:

Ray,
    I am visiting in Connecticut at this time and had the pleasure of shoveling snow at my daughters place in Mystic. Look out for Saturday night and Sunday for a good ole Nor’easter here in New England. Who knew that I would be cutting my grass at home in shorts and tee shirt and three days later be in Connecticut shoveling snow. You take care there brother.

Barrie

Wow, you sure picked the week to visit. Two storms in three days!

Rachael

So, did you listen to any more Christmas guitar music while snow shoveling today? 🙂

7. Rachael says:

No…:) I was afraid the MP3 player would get covered in Ice! BRRRRRR….

Ray, it has definitely been a cold week to visit. Actually I came up to watch my daughter walk down the aisle to get her degree from UCONN but the ceremony was cancelled due to the threat of the Noreaster. Although she was not able to get recognized, we were very proud of her accomplishments. We will be heading back to South Florida on Wednesday. Take care and I hope that the official winter season will not be as bad as the very late fall season has been for the Northeast.

Barrie

That’s too bad about the UCONN cancellation. I actually first read about it in the Beach Boys Surfin U.S.A. parody song here:

http://blogs.dailymail.com/donsurber/2007/12/17/snowstorm-parody/(Scroll down to the last verse)

I pray you have safe traveling back to Florida tomorrow. Give our love to everyone there.

Ray