The Golden Compass vs. Narnia Box Office Results

The movie, The Golden Compass, opened this weekend with disappointing results at the box office (although it was still the number one film at the box office for the weekend). The film, which had a production budget of $180 million, only pulled in an estimated $26 million over the weekend. Compare this to The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe which opened during the same weekend time frame back in December 2005, also with a production budget of $180 million.

The Golden Compass

• Production budget: $180 million
  • Opening Weekend: $25,783,232
  • 3,528 theaters, $7,308 average

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe

• Production budget: $180 million
  • Opening Weekend: $65,556,312
  • 3,616 theaters, $18,129 average

Note: The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe eventually went on to gross $744,783,957 worldwide.

Click here for more Narnia and Caspian related posts.
Click here for Narnia sermon series.

See related posts:

1. Anthony says:

Very interesting. It is good to see that the publicity it received did not affect it positively. The new Narnia is coming out in May – here is the link to the trailer:

God bless,
    Anthony

Hi Anthony,

Thanks for the link and the comment. You can also view the trailer and “countdown” to the Prince Caspian movie right here:

Ray

3. Smart, Ray! This kind of comparison is the only language that Hollywood understands. They are focused on the bottom line after all.

The Caspian trailer looks good. I had the privilege of interviewing the president of Walden Media a few months ago. It was an incredible conversation. We’ll be posting it on TheHighCalling.org in April.

Mark

I look forward to reading the interview when you post it. Thanks for stopping by and commenting.

5. Andrew Ryan says:

The Golden Compass maintained a position at number one in the worldwide boxoffice for more than a week. Sales of the books have also soared off the back of the film. It’s worldwide Gross is currently around $243,158,000. When the DVD comes out it will doubtless recoup profits.

Comparing His Dark Materials with Narnia is a bit meaningless. Neither grossed as much as Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter, both of which build on mythologies that are if anything contrary to Christianity.

Andrew – Thanks for stopping by and commenting. Actually, I think it does make sense to compare all these movies. Narnia, Rings and Potter are arguably the three biggest films in the fantasy genre of the past decade. So, any new fantasy film that comes out will tend to be measured against these giants. I am sure Prince Caspian when it comes out in May will be compared with the first installment, and if it falls short, that will be a big story. New Line was trying hard to compare Compass to Lord of the Rings (even showing the ring from LoTR morphing into a compass in one preview), but I think it will be a long time before any film has the same success at the box office as the Lord of the Rings Trilogy.

Philip Pullman himself compared/contrasted his books to the Narnia books, and I believe that is what got the whole whole Compass/Narnia comparison started. Also, these were two similar fantasy films clearly aimed at children with identical production budgets that opened the exact same weekend three years apart. So I thought it was interesting to compare the box office results. Box office results are certainly not the best indicator of how good or bad a movie is. Although I did not see The Golden Compass, I saw the previews, and the production standards looked excellent to me.

I just checked Box Office Mojo, and here are the latest figures for Compass/Narnia there:

Golden Compass (as of December 30, 2007):
    Opening Weekend: $25,783,232
    Domestic: $58,869,000 (39.1%)
    Foreign: $91,515,574 (60.9%)
    = Worldwide: $150,384,574

Narnia: Lion, Witch, Wardrobe (closed May 11, 2006)
    Opening Weekend: $65,556,312
    Domestic: $291,710,957 (39.2%)
    Foreign: $453,073,000 (60.8%)
    = Worldwide: $744,783,957

They have similar domestic/foreign perecentages, but otherwise, these two movies are still miles apart as far as tickets sold at the theaters.

I just checked Lord of the Rings’ box office returns too – yikes!

Fellowship of the Ring
    Opening weekend: $47,211,490
    Domestic: $314,776,170 (36.1%)
    + Foreign: $556,592,194 (63.9%)
    = Worldwide: $871,368,364

The Two Towers
    Opening weekend: $62,007,528
    Domestic: $341,786,758 (36.9%)
    + Foreign: $584,500,642 (63.1%)
    = Worldwide: $926,287,400

The Return of the King
    Opening weekend: $72,629,713
    Domestic: $377,027,325 (33.7%)
    Foreign: $742,235,981 (66.3%)
    = Worldwide: $1,119,263,306

Hey, and while we’re at it, here are the Harry Potter figures so far (also pretty amazing – the opening weekend figures are off the charts).

Sorcerer’s Stone

Order of the Phoenix
    Opening Weekend: $77,108,414
    Domestic: $292,004,738 31.1%
    Foreign: $646,460,223 68.9%
    = Worldwide: $938,464,961

9. Andrew Ryan says:

“Actually, I think it does make sense to compare all these movies. Narnia, Rings and Potter are arguably the three biggest films in the fantasy genre of the past decade.”

Your worldwide figure of $150,384,574 is lower than ones I’ve seen elsewhere. But undoubtedly the film has disappointed in the US. A shame if Christian campaigners succeded in preventing people (especially children) from seeing the film who may have enjoyed it. One wonders what they were scared of – the only message I got from the film was to question authority.

I don’t know of any atheists attempting to prevent their children enjoying the Narnia books or the various adaptations that have sprung from them.

At any rate, given the success of Harry Potter books and films, perhaps people are over-stating the power of such groups.

And interestingly enough, the film got some very positive reviews from some Christian reviewers who agree exactly with you on this point – that the film is more about questioning authority, especially the abuse of authority, rather than about questioning God. Unless, of course, Pullman believes that God is an abuse of authority. I don’t know.

You can find some of the positive reviews (along with some negative ones) in the related post: The Golden Compass Christian Response Roundup

“Fair enough. What I meant is that if one was comparing Narnia to Northern Lights in a kind of ‘who wins – atheist movie or Christian movie’, then one would have to include Potter and LotR movies as well.”

Fair enough – I think if we added up all the Christian-themed movies in Hollywood and stacked them against all the non-Christian themed movies, the non-Christian themed movies would win at the box office in a landslide!

I think there was a deep reaction in the Christian community to the Golden Compass because Philip Pullman had made some very provocative statements along the way – things like, “My books are about killing God,” or calling the Narnia books poisonous (is that the word he used?) and in many ways presenting his trilogy as the anti-Narnia. Now, how much of that was Pullman and how much of that was the Christian community reacting? Once again, I don’t know.

An interesting question – do you think Pullman’s themes contributed to the film not doing as well as expected at the box office?

12. Andrew Ryan says:

“I think if we added up all the Christian-themed movies in Hollywood and stacked them against all the non-Christian themed movies, the non-Christian themed movies would win at the box office in a landslide!”

I wasn’t comparing ‘Films that promote Christianity’ with ‘All other films’. Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter are among the few films I can think of that seem to offer alternatives to Christian mythology (which is why Potter seems to have got certain Christian groups streamed up). That’s why I mentioned them. Apart from them though I can hardly think of any films that are themed ‘against Christianity’, unless you count films that are specifically pro another religion such as The Mahabharata.

As to whether Pullman’s themes harmed the film’s box office, I’d say quite possibly, given its much greater success outside of America.

13. Andrew Ryan says:

Just had a look at where Pullman made his ‘Poisonous’ remark. I liked the Narnia books myself (just like my Christian mother loves His Dark Materials), but I can see Pullman’s point:

Another interesting thing this link throws up is that Tolkien disliked ‘The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe’ too. That never got mentioned when Lord of the Rings came out…

Thanks for the link to the Pullman article. I have read the article before, but it is nice to have the link for my files.

You raise an interesting question as to why there wasn’t a big stink from the Christian community about Tolkien not liking Narnia when LoTR came out. I think there are several reasons why.

First of all, this was already pretty well known among people who like to read about Lewis and Tolkien. So in a sense, it was old news, whereas the release of the Golden Compass was the first time many Christians had ever heard of Pullman.

Secondly, Tolkien himself was a Christian and was not attacking Lewis’ Christian themes. Tolkien’s dislike for the Narnia Chronicles was based more on literary technique. Tolkien objected to inconsistences in the mythology and what he perceived as Lewis’ general allegorical approach.

Interestingly, Lewis argued that his works were not allegorical. He preferred to think of Aslan as an “invention,” not a symobl. “In reality however he [Aslan] is an invention giving an imaginary answer to the question, ‘What might Christ be like, if there really were a world like Narnia and He chose to be incarnate and die and rise again in that world as He has actually done in ours?'” (C.S. Lewis, in a letter to a friend)

As far as Pullman’s criticisms of Lewis’ books as racist, misogynist and sado-masochistic (!), Leland Ryken and Marjorie Mead address these issues well in chapter 20 of their excellent literary exploration of Narnia: A Reader’s Guide Through the Wardrobe (available used through Amazon for $0.79 – it is a good read and well worth picking up).

By the way, if there are other Pullman, Lewis or Tolkien fans out there reading these comments, feel free to join the conversation. We would love to hear your input, too!

16. Anthony says:

I am not understanding where Andrew is getting that LoTR has ‘non-Christian’ themes. The LoTR is a direct allegory to Christ. I agree with you Ray, on the fact that Tolken was commenting on the literary differences rather than calling it bad. I think the reason that Harry Potter and LoTR did so well compared to Narnia and Compas is that the youth (of America anyways)seem to like magic/ darker seeming plots and types.

Gpd bless,
    Anthony

Anthony – I believe most Tolkien experts would be uncomfortable in calling the Lord of the Rings a direct allegory to Christ. Tolkien expressed a dislike for allegory (hence his critique of Lewis’ Narnia) and was trying to do something different with the Lord of the Rings. He was trying to create a whole other world, yet firmly grounded in Christian principles.

The Lord of the Rings is somewhat like the book of Esther in the Bible, where God is implied rather than directly expressed. However, when you read the background to the story in The Silmarillion, it is clear that in Tolkien’s world an all-powerful God exercises a loving providence over all his creation, even taking evil and turning it to good. It is in this sense that the Lord of the Rings is a profoundly Christian work, but it is not obviously so – which is just as Tolkien intended.

18. Andrew Ryan says:

Box Office Mojos figures have apparently not changed for 2 weeks. According to Reuters and Variety, the official gross released four days ago was $247 million. I’ve got a feeling it hasn’t even opened in Japan yet either.

I think it is very hard to pin down the success of a film or book. Why did Potter win through when Dianne Wynne Jones’ very similar books never got such success? Susan Cooper’s Dark is Rising chronicles furrowed an even darker path, and sold well, but with nowhere near as much success as JK Rowling later found. There’s an X-Factor involved. Both Jones and Cooper write fantastically, arguably a lot better than Rowling; they certainly got better reviews.

At any rate, The Northern Lights books have had astonishing success worldwide. It remains to be seen if the film series (if any sequels are made) can match it. If not, it won’t be the first time a successful book series has failed to translate into celluloid (see also Dune, Sahara, Ralph Bakshi’s LotR animated film etc)

I’d put the LotR movies’ success down to several factors, not least of which would be the genius of Peter Jackson. The story alone (and the books’ fanbase) wasn’t enough to make the aforementioned animated film a success.

Andrew – I agree, it would be a mistake to judge the quality of a book or movie simply by its sales. And even movies based on books have to be judged separately from the books themselves. (For some reason or other, I am thinking of “Congo” right now – great book, not so great film.)

Although I have not read The Golden Compass/Northern Lights books, I have been told that they are very well-written and high quality fantasy. I would like to read them just to see what they are like for myself.

I am assuming from your comments that you are a big fan of the books. Just out of curiosity, what did you think of the movie? Did they do a good job with the adaptation? Once again, I thought the previews looked excellent, but I chose not to go see it because I was turned off by Pullman’s comments.

20. Andrew Ryan says:

I haven’t read the books. As I said, my Christian mother is a huge fan of them, so I should give them a go. Why she was never put off, I don’t know. Perhaps she has stronger faith than Bill Donohue!

I thought the film was great.

“I agree, it would be a mistake to judge the quality of a book or movie”
    I don’t think I’d even brought that issue up! However I agree with YOU on that subject. There’s a funny interview on youtube between Ann Coulter and Jeremy Paxman (put Paxman Coulter into the Youtube searcher) when her trumping argument seems to be that her books have been at Number 1 on the best seller lists. As if that makes her junkscience true and and her horrid brand of Christianity morally defensible.

“Why she was never put off, I don’t know. Perhaps she has stronger faith than Bill Donohue!”

Okay, you got a good laugh out of me on that one! 🙂

Here are the latest updated numbers from Box Office Mojo for Compass:

Golden Compass (as of January 3, 2007):
    Opening Weekend: $25,783,232
    Domestic: $61,280,000 (23.9%)
    Foreign: $195,465,902 (76.1%)
    = Worldwide: $256,745,902

23. Andrew Ryan says:

Japan’s opening isn’t till March. I’m guessing it’ll be popular there.

It’s still to open in Egypt and India too.

24. Andrew Ryan says:

Golden Compass is still No.2 at the worldwide boxoffice, taking another $29m last week. It has now taken $232m abroad plus $62m in North America, making $294m in total, with several countries still to open.
    Source: IMDB

25. Andrew Ryan says:

As of Jan 21, Box Office Mojo lists the Worldwide gross at $314,153,757. Just Japan still to go now. Big shake up announced today at New Line though, which may affect the possibility of sequals.

Andrew – The Golden Compass Box Office saga continues! 🙂 Thanks for the update!

27. Marc says:

Comparing ‘The Golden Compass’ (at least the books) to Narnia and LOTR does not make sense. They are of a totally different genres. Interviews of Pullman where he shares his views on Narnia and LOTR does not equate ‘The Golden Compass’ being an ‘anti-Narnia’. This was an extrapolation made by people reading the article. Narnia and LOTR are largely children tales. The Golden Compass is a tale accessible to children but much better appreciated by adults – and highly educated adults at that – given all the layers the story offers. In there lies the main problem with the movie and to some extent the publishing house. It is a question of product positioning. How to classify the ‘His Dark Materials’ trilogy ? Pullman clearly wrote the trilogy so a child would be enthralled by it and the main character is a 12 year old girl. Hence the publishing house positioning as a young adults book and the movie was clearly positioned as a fantasy targeting the same audience as Narnia. the riskier approach would have been to make a movie targeting an adult audience and having the lead actor a 12 year old child. Not totally unheard of, but given that the books were read mostly by children, it was reasonable for the studio to target the same audience. Speaking for myself, I have seen the Golden Compass, would go see the sequels, but I have no interest in seeing Narnia nor any upcoming Disney animation or Harry Potter movie.

28. Andrew Ryan says:

Worldwide boxoffice is now $362,300,963.
    And I think it’s still playing in Japan.

29. Andrew Ryan says:

Worldwide box office now listed as $372,234,579. It obviously managed an extra $10m in Japan.

That’s pretty much a hit, once you add on DVD sales.

30. Andrew Ryan says:

Returning to the old rivalry, it’s looking unlikely that the new Narnia movie will match that, especially given Prince Caspian’s larger budget.

Andrew – Hey, welcome back. Golden Compass definitely has done much better outside the U.S. than domestically. And yes, I was disappointed Caspian didn’t do better. Still, Caspian has only just opened up overseas, so it may still have time to catch up. It will probably come out about the same. Here are the numbers so far for those who are keeping track.

Opening Weekend:
    Lion, Witch, Wardrobe – $65,556,312
    Golden Compass – $25,783,232
    Caspian – $55,034,805

Domestic:
    Lion, Witch, Wardrobe – $291,710,957
    Golden Compass – $70,107,728
    Caspian – $138,060,613

Foreign:
    Lion, Witch, Wardrobe – $453,102,333
    Golden Compass – $302,126,851
    Caspian – $137,807,326

Fun reading all these comments. I’m jumping in because I just watched The Golden Compass on DVD with my son. (Age 19) We so rarely watch movies together as our tastes are totally different, so when he asked me to join him I was happy to oblige.

A few thoughts…

First, I am a great fan of Tolkien, Lewis, and the Harry Potter series, having read them all multiple times, and seen the movies as well. I had read that the Pullman series was specifically written as a counterpoint to, and even an attack on “Christian” based fantasy, and wasn’t really interested.

Tolkien certainly has powerful Christian themes, though is not a direct allegory and each time I read the books (less so with the movies) I am moved to think deeply on good/evil, sin and its lure, human frailty and divine love, and more. It strengthens my faith both emotionally and intellectually.

Lewis is my hands-down favorite of the three, at least for the books. The movies are fun, but lack the depth of the books (at least the first two). And, the Aslan is still too stiff and clearly CGI for me.

The Harry Potter books are an interesting contrast. Many Christians oppose them for the magic involved and yet Rowling herself claims to be a Christian and there are many Christian themes (though I cringe when I hear some compare Harry to a Christ figure – that is a little over the top, I think.) There are many doctrinal issues that are addressed in a new light in the Potter books that, again, have caused me to think and re-think, including free will/fate, good vs. evil, the temptation to justify our actions to ourselves, sacrifice, the power of love, and the celebration of simple things over dark, mysteries.

I particularly love Dumbledore’s beautiful exposition on free will vs. predestination. (Spoiler here maybe.) When Harry asks if he has no choice whether he must face Voldemort, Dumbledore explains that, no, he really has no choice. Things have been set into place that can only properly end with such a confrontation. But Harry has a choice as to how he will face him – boldly, with purpose, or to be pulled into it cowering and fearful. So yes, there is free will and also “divine” predestiny.

And now to The Golden Compass. (Possibly spoilers here too). I have not read the book, so probably my reactions to the movie are not entirely fair, but I found it disjointed, jumping about, and light on ideas. The heroine goes back and forth between speaking proper English, to a sort of Cockney bad-grammar, and there is little consistency, which I found annoying.

The “big fight” between the ice bears was all CGI, and therefore lacked depth. At least in LOTR/Narnia/Potter there are enough real-life humans mixed with the CGI to prevent the feeling of watching a video game. And the deep love which the young girls feels for her ice-bear friend is just assumed, not properly developed. The actress shows concern and compassion, but we never got to see this friendship become real – the movie just introduced it and kept moving.

Finally, I did find the overarching themes to be lacking. Whether intentional or not, an anti-“something” is only a copy, not an original. GC felt more like an anti-Narnia than a true story that could stand on its own. Perhaps the movie was more simplistic than the book, but its twist on the girl in the closet/wardrobe, and its re-orientation of North/good in Narnia/ North/bad in GC seemed too obvious. Also witch/bad in Narnia, witch/good in GC.

It did seem to emphasize a disregard for authority and to reject claims of absolute truth, the first of which isn’t directly against Christianity, and the second of which, clearly is. But after rejecting absolute truth (in the guise of the Magesterium) it presented its own absolute truth, in the Compass, which again seemed disingenuous.

I could go on, but jeepers, look how much I’ve written. I love Christ, books, fantasy literature, and good movies, so all of these together was too strong a combo to resist.

Happy 4th everyone!

Great comments, Bethany. Thanks!

34. Narnia is a christian overtone, the Golden Compass is an attempt to show the ways religion controls and how it’s fear-based. It’s usually if you’re a christian or atheist, science vs faith. I’m a science guy, so I lean all the way for Compass. The sun is the beginning of all religions in my opinion and everything else is political and unhealthy!

Corey I have not read The Golden Compass (nor seen the movie), but I can see why people who view religion as something negative would probably be drawn more towards Compass then Narnia. However, I don’t think you can break it down into categories of science versus faith. I’m a science guy, too, but I also have faith. Perhaps faith and non-faith are better categories.

36. Jenn says:

I think your leaving out two key points. Golden compass did not do so well in sales because:
    a) LOTR and Narnia are both much older books, they have a following and people remember them from their childhoods. Harry Potter has a following because it became a fad. Although Golden Compass was a best seller etc. it is also true that it wasn’t so much of a large scale fad as any of these others.
    b)Golden Compass was the last of these great fantasy movies to come out. Everyone who saw the trailers and who had not previously read the books saw the movie to be a copy of others. They saw it to be just another movie trying to ride on the tail feathers of other magical world movies. We see this pattern in other things as well. For example, how many vampire related movies tv shows and books have started only because of the popularity of Twilight.

Personally I enjoyed the book of Golden compass much more than any of these other books, except perhaps LOTR. I found it much deeper than Harry Potter. More simple than LOTR (which isn’t necessarily better but from a children’s standpoint…) and I don’t know why I disliked Narnia, I guess I have no excuse there, I just found it didn’t keep my interest.

As for the movies we don’t have to worry about the complexity of the language, LOTR is almost as accessible to children as Harry Potter.

It is therefore sad that there will be no more His Dark Material movies. The story is no where near complete. For Golden Compass is not like Narnia where you can tell one section and not another. It is in essence three volumes of the same book. We will never really see the true climax to the story (nor even the beginning of its complexity) on the big screen.

Jenn – Thanks for commenting. Both your points are well-taken. However, I still think the anti-religious content of the books had the biggest impact on its lack of success at the box office. I had never heard of the Golden Compass when I first saw the trailer in the movie theaters. My first reaction was positive, and I was already thinking of bringing my family. Then when I learned more what the books were about and the author’s stated intention in his books, I lost interest. I think there were lots of families like mine that were more than ready for another great fantasy movie but were turned off by the anti-religious themes.

38. jenn says:

To Bethany,

The reason most of the things seem so disjointed are because the movies was the retelling of the first book, which is essentially the first volume of a continuous story. Trying to split it into three completely separate stories doesn’t really work, you sort of have to take all three as a whole. So of course the story seemed to have a hodge-podge overarching plot.

I understand your comments and also felt that the movie was a little too CG and jumpy, the book is this way too but because it is a book it doesn’t feel wrong. Much like LOTR, they move from a forest with trees to a mountain with spiders etc, it is because you first read the books that it doesn’t seem jumpy.

Anyways the other GC books don’t seem to be being movieified and I don’t suggest that you read the book if you are against the anti-Christian fantasy literature thing. Reading fantasy is for enjoyment and should be done for that reason.

Anyways this isn’t meant to be crass. I like your comments and they made me think again about how good the movie actually was, it reminded me that one of the reasons I liked the movie so much was because I LOVE the books. Much like Harry Potter the books are better, the movies are good mostly because we get to see the things we read in ‘real life.’

Ok enough of that.

39. Jenn says:

about the faith/no faith/science thing…
    The book isn’t about not having faith. These people have faith. the book takes place in a different world, God does in full form exist in this world.

It’s “anti-Christian” perspective lies in its anti-Orthodox view of a semi-Jewish/Christian god. The God in the book does not take on the same form that we as Christians would like to see. It is uncomfortable but one must understand that it is about another take on the faith, not about God not existing or something like that. It is more of a ancient Jewish mysticism approach to God (which I may remind you was closer to its roots) God is not good or evil, he is a vengeful powerful Character (think old testament) his angels are servants (which is where the root of the angel ‘myth’ came from.)

40. Jenn says:

point well taken.
    Sorry if I offended.

Jenn – No offence taken at all. I appreciate the points you are raising. Thank you for taking the time to share. 🙂

42. Megan Huskey says:

You people do’nt now who you are! Think about what Iorek did for Lyra protecting her from evreything. Think of Iorek, Sarafina Pekkala, Mr. Scorseby, and all the Gyptions fighting the Samoyeds, Tarter Guards, Lord Asrial, and Mrs. Coulter to get Lyra safe. The Cronicales Of Narnia did’nt do anything like that but just battle. Iorek killed Ragnar to protected Lyra from being Ragnar’s demon when Lyra already has a demon. Now who do you realy vote for The Golden Compass or The Cronicales Of Narnia.

Megan – Wow, it sounds like you are a real loyal Golden Compass fan! 🙂 Have you read The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe or just seen the movie? If you’ve only seen the movie, let me encourage you to read the book. I think you will really enjoy it. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

44. Dhaval says:

Golden Compass Is The Best Of Best Movie I Ever See.

1. The Golden Compass Christian Response Roundup at Ray Fowler .org