Survey on the Television Viewing Habits of Christian Families

My niece, Kathryn Post, is a graduate student at Shippensburg University in Pennsylvania where she is currently conducting research for her masters thesis. Kathryn is studying the television perspectives of Christian parents and needs Christian parents to volunteer to take a brief survey online.

By taking part in her study, you will be supporting Christian research and helping a graduate student. As a thank you for participating, you will be entered in a drawing for one of four $25.00 gift cards.

The survey can be completed between now and May 1st. Click this link to go to the survey: Parent Survey

Thank you for your support!

Hi Ray,

I took the survey and found it very interesting. I hope others do this also.

Barrie

I took the survey, but was a bit confused as to whether I was to answer the questions as our family life is now…with no children living at home, or as my family life was when my children were at home. Will we get to see the results of the study on the blog?

Kathryn,

Nice job on putting the survey together. I just took it myself and found the questions clear and easy to answer. And it only took about 5-6 minutes to complete. I hope you get lots of participation with this.

Hi – I also took it this morning. It was a little odd for me as our family has been TV-free for 18 years. It was only this past fall that my 18-year-old begged for cable so he could watch sports. To test his sincerity we told him he could pay for the cable ($50 monthly for the package that included the sports channels – which included 70 stations) if he’d be willing to have the 64 non-sports channels blocked as we didn’t want to start having TV again. After a little negotiation, (we gave in to History channel, Discovery channel, CNN, Animal Planet and Fox for American Idol for our teenage daughter), we came up with a workable plan and have now re-introduced TV. I’m mostly OK with it, but am the only person in the household who has yet to sit down and watch anything. I keep forgetting we have it. 🙂

5. Dayle says:

Just took the survey. It was easy, but I agree with Sharon Gamble. Do you mean when the kids were little or now, when our youngest is 11 and our oldest is married and living far away? As they grow up, it is more and more difficult to be in control. We haven’t had TV for years so we don’t often watch recent sitcoms etc. We buy the old sitcoms – Dick Van Dyke, Beverly Hillbillies, etc. and weekly dramas such as Little House on the Prairie for the younger kids. But, as they get older, they want more – and what they don’t get on TV here, they can get elsewhere or buy it when the DVD comes out. None of it, to my knowledge, is terribly bad stuff. Three are still in college and still at home, but considered adults, so keeping a strict eye on them can become more than a bit touchy.

6. Tom says:

Took the survey too… was wondering if there should have been a distinction between broadcast/cable TV and video/dvd watching. It seems to me that what we bring into our houses on DVD/video SHOULD be more controlled than what we receive over the cable/air. We as a family watch very little cable/broadcast TV.

7. Kathryn Post says:

Thank you all so much for participating! The number of responses was higher than I anticipated and the feedback was extremely helpful. Now that the survey administration is over, I can try to answer a few of the questions. First, I should have been more clear about which parents I intended to study. When I developed the survey, I intended it for parents of school aged children. I did not make that clear in the survey, however, and I am sorry for the frustration it appears to have caused! Second, I did not look at videos or DVDs because I was hoping to look at the cultivation effect produced by TV. I should have the final results in a weeks time. If Uncle Ray let’s me, I’d love to post some info. on what I found!

Kathryn,

That’s great you got such a good response. And yes, I will be glad to post some of your results when you have them ready. I know everyone will be interested in seeing them.

1. Last Day to Take the TV Survey at Ray Fowler .org