Can Movies Change Your Life?

Well, I like to say that only Jesus can truly change your life, but movies can certainly open your eyes and change your perspective. I love movies and have benefited from many movies over the years, so I appreciated this article from Jeffrey Overstreet: Movies That Changed My Life (Christianity Today). After reading the article, I must say that Chariots of Fire affected me in the same way when I first saw it.

How about you all? How have movies changed or affected your life (for better or for worse?)

1. DAVID FOWLER says:

I really liked Bridge to Terabithia. Rich themes on creativity, imagination, and friendship. My kids have devoured the book after seeing the movie. The author of the book (which the movie is based on) is a Christian. Interesting perspectives on faith as kids talk about what the story of redemption means to them.

2. Bill Kerr says:

Hi Pastor Ray,

When I was in China, I met a young guy around my age who said that “Forrest Gump” got him thinking about God. The idea that he had nobody to help him when he was in trouble and yet people with a God can pray for help, led him to investigate religion. He later became a believer in Christ.

Hi David,

When I saw the previews for Bridge to Terabithia, it didn’t really grab me, but I guess I will have to dig a little deeper and check this one out.

Hi Bill,

Good to hear from you! Great story on Forrest Gump. I remember liking some things about Forrest Gump, but really not liking other parts. (Sally Field’s role as the mother particularly bugged me.) I am glad to hear God used it to lead someone to Christ.

Hi David,

We went and saw Bridge to Terabithia last night. Good call! I thought it was a wonderful story and beautifully portrayed on the screen.

5. DAVID FOWLER says:

Glad you liked it! It really struck a chord with our family. We had alot to talk about in the car after we left the theater, everyone had something they really wanted to discuss about it. The author had a number of deeper themes woven into the story, and we had fun trying to unravel some of them. Sarah bought the book the same night we saw it and read it in two days! Matt has almost finished it now as well. The book did win the Newberry Award so glad to see she got some recognition for her efforts with this…

6. Rachael says:

Hi Pastor Ray,

No movie has really “changed my life” but The Chronicles of Narnia was a REALLY good one. Watching the suffering of Aslan, kind of opened my eyes once again to how much Jesus suffered for us. It’s still my favorite movie!

God Bless!

Rachael,

I agree – The Chronicles of Narnia is a great movie. I have lost count of how many times I have read the books now. Can’t wait for the next one!

Pastor Ray

8. Timothy Michalak says:

When it comes to movies for me, they never really “change my life.” But some movies, and only very few, can really pull me deep and make me think. I am a complete critic when it comes to movies. I am really picky and I often look at several reviews before watching one.

Now some of the movies which have made me think include:
    –The Truman Show with Jim Carrey
    –Big Fish by Tim Burton, and most Tim Burton films as well.
    –Movies written or directed by Andrew Niccol (The Truman Show, Gattaca, S1m0ne etc.) often give a “What if” sensation which makes you think during and a long while after the film.
    –The End of the Spear really made me think about Angels on earth and also it opened my eyes to martyrs for Christ.
    –The First Matrix made me think incredibly. Even though it was created by Buddhists, it still have a very close relationship (metaphorically speaking) to salvation.

Those are some of the movies that make me think. It would take me awhile to think of some of the other movies that made me think.

I wanted to see Bridge To Terebithia, but after I heard some people comparing it to the book, it complete turned me off to wanting to see it. I heard that there were no mythological creatures in the book is one of the big things. It really kind of annoys me when filmmakers take a classic book and upon making a movie, completely twist it.

But this comment is long enough, haha. Thanks for posting about this one! I love movies!!

-Tim

9. Rachael says:

Oh! End of the spear was REALLY Good! And VERY powerful!!

~Rachael~

Timothy,

Truman Show is one of my favorites. I always find the part where Truman “bumps into” the end of the world a particularly moving scene.

11. Timothy Michalak says:

Well, if you remember he says three key questions to the movie, but also to us humans.

Truman: “Who are you?”
    Christof: “I am the creator of a television show that gives hope and joy to millions.”
    Truman: “Who am I?”
    Christof: “You are the star”
    Truman: “Was nothing real?”
    Christof: “You were real.”

There is much significance in these questions. In fact, I bet almost every single person has asked themselves these questions.

Who is God?
    Who am I?
    Is this world/heaven real?

It’s amazing how they put these questions in. Unfortunately this movie was created with anti-religion in mind. I’m not sure who of the creators had this mindset.

Tim.

12. CMN says:

Amazing Grace was excellent – it was inspiring and refreshing to see his wife take such a supporting role in his dreams and ambitions. She was never in the lime-light – but always there cheering him on. God-honoring family relationships seem to be sorely lacking in most of today’s films. ):

1. One Year Ago on the Blog at Ray Fowler .org